Case Studies


Beau & Poppy grapes & raisin toxicity

Grapes and Raisins are toxic to dogs and ingestion can lead to acute kidney failure. Even a very small amount can be fatally toxic. 
We recently had both of these dogs in our hospital for this very reason. Beau, a 7 month old Cocker Spaniel ate a whole punnet of grapes and Poppy, a 10 year old Beagle, ate a large quantity of raisin filled cake.
On initial presentation Beau was made to vomit, as she had eaten the grapes less than 30minutes before arrival. Poppy had unfortunately eaten the raisin cake many hours before presentation and therefore inducing vomiting would not have been beneficial to her treatment.
Both were admitted for intravenous fluid therapy and blood tests were carried out to determine whether their kidneys had been affected at all. The intravenous fluids were continued for 48hours and then bloods were repeated to ensure there had been no change or damage to their kidneys. They were monitored closely throughout their stay for any signs of toxicity which would include lethargy, dehydration and abdominal pain, amongst many others. The fluid therapy assisted their kidneys in flushing any toxins from their body and reducing the potential damage. 
We are pleased to report that both dogs are doing very well and blood tests, so far, have shown that the treatment they received has prevented their kidneys from suffering any long term damage. 
We will continue to monitor them closely for the next few weeks.

Show Sitemap

Website designed and developed by